Join our mailing list
Stay updated on events and great recipes!
Tom Douglas Restaurants
1-pound of Washington asparagus – cut woody ends off – season lightly with olive oil and salt and pepper
3 egg yolks
¼ c of prosecco
Pinch of kosher salt
1. Bring about 1 or 1 1⁄2 inches of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. In the meantime, in a stainless or glass bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar and salt, using a manual or electric whisk, until they are pale and frothy (about 5 minutes).
3. Slowly and gradually pour in the wine, whisking constantly.
4. Lower the heat to the minimum setting so that the water barely simmers and place the bowl with the eggs on top of the saucepan (the bottom should not touch the water).
5. Keep whisking on top of the double boiler until the zabaglione is thick like a pudding, frothy, and “holds a ribbon.” This means that when you remove the mixer from the bowl, the zabaglione will fall in a ribbon-like pattern when drizzled over the bowl.
6. Grill or roast asparagus and serve with the zabaglione on top